Procuement/ Contracting

We are a certified WBE architecture firm. What's the best way to find out about government and corporate architecture-related projects requiring WBE participation?

Terrence Payne: The best and most efficient ways to find out about architecture related projects requiring WBE participation can be achieved using a variety of methods.

a) First, understand how and when to use the WBE certification; most local governments within the State of CA are moving towards race and gender neutral contracting models; primarily SBE certification. Other states and local governments in the U.S. are following this practice. However, a great number of government contract issuing agency’s will continue to track the WBE and MBE participation to assure all groups are included in the contracting picture.

b) In regards to Prime Contractors seeking your services to perform on Federal government opportunities; you should register the firm with the Central Contractors Registry (CCR), which can be accessed via the internet at Keeping in mind, commercial businesses search the CCR database for WBE and MBE firms in addition to firms holding federal certifications, i.e., 8(a), HUB Zone, SDB.

c) To proactively contact the Prime Contractors; visit the SBA web site at to obtain the complete list of Federal Government Prime Contractors; the list is available for no cost and provides the contact names, telephone numbers, addresses, and e-mail addresses to the primary contact persons responsible for diversity contract sourcing.

d) Lastly, Commercial opportunities typically utilize private funding have the latitude to set contracting goals specifically for WBE and MBE certified firms. Therefore, the firm should be registered with the major retail and public works prime contractors; this can be achieved via the internet if the firm accepts electronic registration for bids and contract opportunities, or forward the hard copy registration form via U.S. Mail.

I hope this information is helpful and if assistance is needed to obtain Federal SBA 8(a)/SDB or HUB Zone certification, please call me at 323.750.3295, or send your request to

National Association of Women Business Owners, Los Angeles
811 West 7th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017

PH: (213) 622-3200 FX: (213) 622-6659
© NAWBO-LA All Rights Reserved. Site design by Citrus Studios